People die from mouth cancer every day, and this has become a significant problem globally. However, the problem can easily be solved if only oral cancer can be detected at an early stage before getting to the untreatable level. The only way the issue can be detected before it gets of hands is if people understood the signs and symptoms related to this disease. This way, they can take the necessary action, which is to see a medical professional as soon as they notice any sign.
Cancer is defined as an abnormal growth of cells that invade and destroy the surrounding tissues.
At any given time, about 99% of our total body calcium stores are found in bones and teeth. This calcium plays a critical role in maintaining structural integrity of our skeleton. While calcium is the most critical nutrient to skeletal health, other nutrients provide important support to help absorb and use calcium in the bones. These nutrients include vitamin D, vitamin K, and magnesium.
What causes oral cancer?
There is a range of factors that come to play, but the main one is poor oral hygiene. Other causes include:
- Excessive exposure to the sun especially on your lips
- Excessive use of alcohol
- Use of tobacco either by smoking, pipes, cigars or snuff
- HPV, which is a sexually transmitted virus
- A weak immune system especially in individuals with diabetes
Here are some of the signs and symptoms that you should not ignore.
- Swellings, lumps, thickenings and rough sports around the lips, tongue, gums and other areas inside the mouth
- Velvety white or red patches in the mouth
- Sudden bleeding in the mouth with no cause especially after brushing your teeth with a soft-bristle toothbrush
- Difficulties in chewing food, swallowing or moving the jaw and the tongue
- Chronic sore throat or hoarseness in the voice
- Feeling like something is caught in your throat
- A feeling of numbness, you can no longer feel or feeling pain/tenderness in your mouth, face or neck
- Chronic sores in the mouth, face or neck which bleed easily and do not go away within two weeks
- Pain in your ears
- Abrupt weight loss
- Changes in the way your teeth fit together
If you notice any of these signs, that should raise a red flag, and you should seek medical assistance and let your doctor screen you for cancer.
Do not assume that it is just a cold that will go away in a few days. Do not make the mistake of getting over-the-counter antibiotics and let the issue slide. Overlooking the symptoms is the main reason why so many people are dying and others living a life pain.
Also, make it a routine to have your teeth checked regularly. Book, a general dentistry appointment, to have your mouth checked and also get a dental cleaning. This is the perfect time to share any issues that you might have with your dentist. Also, with this, the dental expert will detect any underlying problem before it gets too late.